10 favorite things about the holidays with kaley from k photo
1. The winter look – I am a sucker for apparel and I love everything about winter clothes – mostly boots, scarves, and coats. I get told that I have too many coats and boots, but you need to have a variety because there are so many different occasions that one can wear those to. One of my favorite winter coats is my jcrew camel capella wool coat that I purchased last year.
2. Holiday Drinks! For instance, peppermint mochas and soy chai latte’s. I can’t resist a hot drink. Especially a nice cup of hot cocoa. It’s my favorite!
3. Colored tights. I have really been getting into colored tights this year. American Apparel always has a great selection and so does Urban Outfitters. American Apparel also has a pair of leggings called “winter leggings” that will honestly save your life. Check them out!
4. I love going to a tree farm and picking out the perfect tree. This is a new tradition that I started this year with my boyfriend, Clay – plus I secretly love love love the smell of pine so I have to have a real tree. Also, my heart is so happy whenever I see trees strapped on top of cars. It makes me so giddy for Christmas. I think it’s very important to carry on traditions whether big or small. I can count my family traditions on one hand, so I just want to make sure I create them with the ones I love.
5. Family and close friends – more so, around a big table. I had a chance to experience this when I had dinner with the Parsons + a bunch of our friends. This was one of the best nights of my life. I loved the ambiance, the conversation, and the fact that I could take to some strangers and feel like they were family in a very short amount of time. The whole experience was enchanting. I want to keep the whole “family dinner” tradition alive whenever I have a family of my own.
6. Local, local, local. I have definitely shied away from corporate places and have enjoyed spending my time and money at local establishments. Want to try something new? Check these places out, be it for the holidays or just for fun! Some of my favorite places/shops are Westside Local, Acme Gift, Howard’s Organic Fare & Vegetable Patch, Sporting KC, Blue Dandelion, Kauffman Center for the Performing Arts, and many more! The Pitch published their Best of KC issue weeks ago, if you have a chance, check it out!
7. Pinecones and other christmas decor. I’m a pinecone fanatic. I think they are so festive and there’s so much that can be done with them. My favorite pinecones of the season are dipped in paint.
8. Checking out my favorite blogs to scope out holiday gift ideas, just inspiration in general. A post that caught my eye recently was one put up by the lovely, Bri Emery of designlovefest. She put up a make it – blog post about leather keychains. I think this is such a cute little gift idea. I love that leather is coming back in style and what a great little stocking stuffer or gift for a friend.
9. Ice Skating at Crown Center. Sadly, this is something I have yet to do there, but I hear about it every year. Crown Center is amazing in general! Who doesn’t like to fall in front of their loved ones? I kid. I do like the fact that you can take your significant other to do this and hold hands and stay warm together. It’s such a great date idea!
10. Bringing everyone closer – the holiday’s always bring everybody closer. I see it every day. At Starbucks, the person in front of you in the drive-thru buying your coffee, the joy of spending your hard earned money on someone you love, seeing their face light up as they open their gifts. The holiday’s always bring a smile to my face. Gathering around the fireplace, sipping cocoa, seeing loved ones near and far – having snow ball fights, sledding – I need to make sure I have time to do all those silly things we used to do as kids.
comment on this post